Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Coming Up Short?

This is the general warning from an article in the WSJ. Too many Americans will come up short in their retirement savings. One scary tidbit was that only 25% of Americans over age 55 have $250,000, or more, saved for retirement. The scary part is that people who live to age 90 will need $215,000 for medical expenses. That leaves $35,000 from to draw 5% from. Oops.

The article also talks at length about planning to need 70% of what you make now to live on and questions whether instead of 70% you should target replacing 85% of your income.

Advice like this is too broad. Plenty of people have a mortgage when they are younger. Whether the mortgage is paid off in retirement matters and would be a huge determinant as to how much of your income you need to replace. Some people need to drive a particular type of vehicle when they work, pay for it a particular way and replace it at a specific time interval. No car payment or a lower car payment could also affect income need in retirement.

The bigger point is to not rely on a generic number but to analyze your own situation to determine how much you need. If the number you come up with is too low you might want to reassess.

My wife and I have almost no expenses now. Really, all we pay for is utilities, groceries and various insurance premiums. Layer on top of that two trips per year.

I expect my expenses will increase in retirement due mostly to normal health costs. Also, we currently make no car payments but they way have lived so far we have a car payment about 1/3 of the time, we drive cars until they die, well close to it anyway.

I am often critical of brokers and bankers for trying to label customers as tab A or tab B and then fitting them into slot A or slot B. Don't label yourself in the same way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott Burns just wrote an article that discusses this same subject. An interesting read.

I think you may need a free account to view the article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/scottburns/columns/2006/stories/DN-burns_02bus.ART0.State.Edition1.3cc4aab.html

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am conservative, but paying off your mortgage and paying cash for cars are among my favorite suggestions. I suggest allocating the rest to stocks as I'm not a fan of bonds most of the time. Also with all the extra time to spend money I do not think people should plan on retirement costing less than their working years (hopefully you can spend more). This is why a turning a hobby you truly love into making you some money is such an excellent suggestion. Why not love living and make some money in retirement.

But I also think you need to plan on needing millions to retire. 4% of 2 million is only $80,000 a year and if their is a hicup with your portfolio in retirement you do not get a do over. Bear markets and nursing homes for spouses will be experienced by all to many people.

Plan for the worst and take a few round the world tours if the sky does not fall. Well atleast that is my plan.

Roger Nusbaum said...

thank you for the link.

paying off a mortgage has pros and cons. Paying down aggressively I am on board with. or having no mortgage as the result of down sizing your home too.

no debt and no assets is not ideal either (i realize the commenter has more than zero saved). When I was 24 I got my first big check, well I thought it was big, and I paid off my credit card debt that I had accumulated in college and most of my student loan and had a few hundred dollars left over. This was a great lesson for me.

Anonymous said...

Understanding fiancial priorities was always a problem for me; what to do and in what order? Save for retirement, pay of debt, emergency fund, kids college etc. A few months ago I started listening to Dave Ramsey and at the beginning because I "knew so much" about personal finanance I thought I and would listen for entertainment. But the more listend the more I realized I was typical.

For anyone I trying to get to a state of "fiancial peace" I can't recomend the program enough. He addresses the quesiton of priorities with his baby steps. And while I was initially hesitant to stop contributing to retirement to pay of debt (it took me weeks to decide to do it) the more I thought about it the more sense it made. Personal fianance 80% about behavior and when the behavior changes (i.e. living within your means) you are on your way to being fiancially secure.

His steps to fiancial security are:
http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/index.cfm?intContentID=2867

My 2c.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry if I was incomplete in my earlier comments, but yes maxing out retirment accounts must be combined with paying off ones mortgage IMO.

Most people simply do not save enough. Accumulating debt other than a mortgage should be viewed as trading part of your future life away. Who wants to sell your self as an indentured servant? Trust me life is better when you are free of debt.

Solve Your RMD Problem Before It Happens

Barron's wrote about the mess of required minimum distributions (RMDs) from IRAs. The age that we have to start is slowly going higher ...